Accidents involving foreign drivers

Accidents with foreign drivers in the UK have increased.  It can often be difficult if you have been injured to get compensation from a foreign driver as their insurance procedures are different or they may not be insured.  If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident with a foreign driver and it wasn’t your fault, you could be entitled to compensation. The first step is to seek legal advice from Hansells,  we are experienced in dealing with claims of this nature.

If you are involved in an accident with a foreign driver in particular a lorry driver always remember that the cab and trailer both have a registration number; ensure you get both. If the driver can’t speak English get them to write all the details down.  It’s always helpful to have a camera in your car or if you have a camera on your mobile phone take a picture as this is clear evidence.  Also ensure that you take down details of the vehicle make and model.

With this information then the next step as your solicitor we will contact the Motor Insurers Bureau who under their Green Card Scheme will be able to provide us with the foreign insurers UK Handling agent. All foreign insurers should have an insurance company in the UK that will process the claim.

The Motor Insurers Bureau are also able to help if the driver who was involved in the collision with you doesn’t have insurance or there is no UK handling agent.

The next step will be to formally present your claim to the agent.  The claim will then be dealt with under English Law.  The process however is much longer than had you had a accident in England with an English driver, as the agent has to liaise with the foreign insurer and driver.  Like any claim it is a stressful process and we at Hansells will see you through every step of the way.

If you would like more information or you are ready to start your claim, call us on 01603 615731. 

We deal with all claims on a “No Win No Fee” basis.